SELF DIRECTED STUDY: PRINT REFLECTION/EXPLORATION

Due to Steve not having all the fabrics available on Friday, he invited the group to make use of the print room today. I for one, would not miss out on this fantastic opportunity, and relished the chance to explore further.

BATIK – Drawing with Wax

 

Taking old pages from a nature encyclopaedia, stretching the paper on a board, fixing down with gum paper and leaving to dry. Once dry, wax was administered to the surface in the form of patterns found on different pages, or simply enhancing the image being worked on. The idea arose from the idea of patterns within patterns and reconstructing the deconstructed. Black, Violet, Olive Green and Yellow were used as my chosen colour scheme. As a next step, I may remove the wax from my least favourite pieces and try again to rebuild new from old. Had to let them dry.

Whilst waiting for these to dry, I prepared an old A3 piece of paper ready for the adhesion of further ripped and deconstructed paper remnants. I purposely chose remnants from previous projects as to fit in with my principle idea of producing as little waste as possible.

IMAG0456IMAG0457

The piece was embellished with hot wax via a tjanting, and once wax was dry the paper was administered with a range of blue, orange, green and yellow heat transfer paints. The colours were chosen as my interpretation of the Autumn; yellow, orange and green to signify the falling leaves and dying flora, and the blue to signify the darkening skies. Again, had to wait for piece to dry (helped along by a fan).

As you can guess, I love to keep busy and hate waiting around; time waits for no man.

Old A4 envelops became the material to print heat transfer paint onto; different tones of blue/black/green/yellow were applied to a square polystyrene block and administered to the A4 envelope surface. As the prints looked a little wonky/shonky/lopsided, I decided to cut them into individual squares, and arranged them in a more symmetrical/geometric line. The heat press now beckoned!!!

Polyester Suedette in Solarno White & Polyester Satin in Plaza White were used to create these designs. Paperclips were used to crete a negative element within the whole design, but I actually think they look rather amateur, so will not be using them again. The second experiment involved heat press printing onto Polyester Satin, which resulted in a far more successful and slightly muted result in colour (which is exactly what I wanted). I then repeated this pattern on another two different fabrics, one being the fine polyester I had previously used, and unknown metallic chiffon type of fabric. Alone the design looked rather plain and static. However, by meshing the two other fabrics over the top, the design became kinetic and alive. The skill of deciphering what works, and doesn’t work, is essential to me as a learner!!

Bubblewrap exploration. Heat transfer paint applied, with various colours, directly onto the surface. Wrap used as painting plate. Polyester satin used initially. Interesting, but not particularly creative.

Decided to deconstruct some of the paper designs, and reconstruct them onto another piece of paper. Far more successful design. Really interest to see what I could do cutting the fabric into strips and weaving with it; manipulation of warp and weft could result in really interesting results. Could I further manipulate the fabric with the addition of free-machine stitch? All this to be documented in the coming week!!

IMG_1714IMG_1715IMG_1716

My Paper Remnant/Batik/Heat Transfer Paint piece was now dry, so diving in to explore the print on a couple of different fabrics seemed mandatory. The results are fantastic; yes, the colours are a little on the bright side, but look incredibly energetic. Polyester Suedette, Satin and Mesh were used to create the (above) designs.  The (middle) image was created by adding strips of paper to the fabric first, placing the print plate down on top and pressing the heat press down for 50 seconds. The paper was not quite thick enough, so let a little of the ink through into the space I wanted as only white. Next time, the paper will have a higher GSM. Mesh was use on the (bottom) image, to create patter/texture within the block colour.

To finish the session off, I utilised some of the printing ‘equipment’ I had stockpiled. On this occasion, I used dried seeds from a tree/shrub I had encountered on a walk @ Cefn Onn Park.

Absolutely love this design, so effective, and so effective; one of my 6 Print/Dye samples, for sure. The process involved painting the dried seed with super black heat transfer paint with a brush, reapplying the paint every 3 prints. The tonal range of each print is what makes this one of my favourite pieces. My first attempt ended in an accidental shift of the printing plate!!! Which in turn made the print move up the fabric, exactly what I did not want. I did reprint the design again, but the black was nowhere near as potent as the first print. However, I was still pleased with the outcome; so much so, the design was printed on a number of my failed bubblewrap prints. Alas, success!! The reconstruction of these new samples created some of my favourite final prints.

Author: vmhtdesign

About to undertake my BA TEXTILE DESIGN @ NOTTINGHAM TRENT UNIVERSITY. So Excited. Follow my progress from beginner to professional.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s