What is the best way to understand a demographic? I decided to create my own survey, asking poignant and specific questions that would enable me to further expand my research, both visual and market.
7 questions were put forward via Survey Monkey, which was available to my Facebook friends and the friends of friends. The information collated will be broken down into the most popular answers, which in turn could influence my final designs. What were these questions you may ask……well, here they are:
- WHAT WOULD YOU CONSIDER YOUR FAVOURITE FLOWER TO BE? Daffodil, Rose & Tulip
- WHICH 3 FLOWERS WOULD YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE IN YOUR GARDEN? Daffodil, Rose & Lily
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE COLOUR FLOWER? Yellow, Purple & Blue
- WHICH 3 COLOURS WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE WITH FEMININITY? Pink, Purple & Yellow
- WHICH 3 COLOURS WOULD YOU ASSOCIATE WITH MASCULINITY? Blue, Black & Green
- WHICH 3 ELEMENTS ARE MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU IF YOU WERE TO CHOOSE A FLORAL FABRIC/WALLPAPER? Colour, Design & Simplicity
- WOULD BE MORE INCLINED TO PURCHASE FLORAL FABRIC/WALLPAPER IF IT WAS MORE GENDER NEUTRAL? Neither Agree or Disagree, Agree, Strongly Agree
60 people took my survey and I am absolutely fascinated with the results!!! I knew exactly how some of the questions would be answered, but was blown away by some of the results!!! For example……PINK would always be the most obvious answer when asking what people thought was the most predominant colour of FEMININITY, and BLUE being the most obvious for MASCULINITY. The 3 favourite colours of flowers were quite surprising…..YELLOW coming top, followed by PURPLE & BLUE. BLACK & GREEN surprisingly were the second and third highest chosen colours!!! I couldn’t have asked for better results; my chosen colour palette has so far incorporated most of the colours picked by my survey demographic. I will however incorporate some metallics within my designs, which will lift and inform the buyer of it’s quality and luxurious design.
The information I have gathered so far from this survey has been invaluable; one of the core ingredients/themes of my chosen trend, BUSY BLOOMS, is to inform the viewer/buyer of the importance of GENDER NEUTRALITY when looking at the design of Floral Wallpaper/Fabric for the Interior. I was really pleased to learn that the overall consensus of my survey favoured the idea that more people would buy Floral Wallpaper/Fabric if it was GENDER NEUTRAL, specifically looking at the Top 3 elements when choosing Florals………..COLOUR, DESIGN & SIMPLICITY.
My next step will be to continue my visual and market research combining elements from the survey results and allowing me the opportunity to create something fresh, unique and with broad appeal.