COLLECTION PROGRESS

I won’t lie, this project has been extremely tough for me. It has opened up a new avenue in which I thought I would never feel comfortable to work in, but as the time has gone on I realise how incredibly valuable digital technology is to me as a Textile Designer. That’s not to say that at times I have felt like throwing my Mac through the window, but fortunately coffee has seen me through.

There have been elements of my collection that I knew I wanted to use but was either scared to or unsure of how to incorporate. I decided to just ignore the thoughts of failure, putting my procrastination to one side, and just have fun with my explorative studies.

I wanted to find out what worked and what didn’t work within my collection. Initially, some of the drawings, paintings, and motifs that looked the most obvious to include, at times would be the designs that would not offer an organic and fluid pattern. Take for example the little oil painting on canvas of Peonies I created; organic, rich and kinetic, but when trying to create a reflected pattern an obvious problem presented itself.

OilPaintFloralHero_15052018.jpg

If this pattern was to be repeated in a reflected layout the overall aesthetic of the pattern would form unsightly blocks of the flowers travelling horizontally and vertically. However, when forming this pattern I inadvertently created some incredible motifs which could be extracted via the PEN TOOL or POLYAGONAL TOOL and juxtaposed with other elements from a different design.

Next, I began working to resolve how I would incorporate my beautiful Cyanotype motifs into my collection. Looking back through my notes, and with the help of Charlie, I began to manipulate the image by removing the scanned background and creating a new coloured one. I then shrunk the original motif design via the FREE TRANSFORM TOOL and began creating both a standard and half-drop repeat pattern.

 

Although the colour is not which will be chosen from my collection I wanted a good initial contrast between the motif layer and that of the background. I am over the moon with this pattern, and will definitely be focusing it somewhere within my collection. My next step was to explore with scale and colour.

FeatherFoliage_26052018FeatherFoliage_26052018a

I chose one of the cyanotype motifs specifically as I was drawn to the shape and style. The first sample I created using a green background with the blue motif, paying particular detail to a soft colour palette and manipulating the motif opacity down to 20%. I flipped the colour palette, although not exactly, to a blue background with a green motif layer, again reducing the opacity to 55% and manipulating the motif via the Hue/Saturation slider bar. The results are beautiful, and I would be proud to include them as part of my collection.

My next step to bringing all the design elements together will be to tackle ongoing issues I have in finalising my HERO Design. However, I now feel confident to undertake this task after the wonderful Intensive Digital Workshop run by Charlie and Matt on Thursday 24th May.

 

Author: vmhtdesign

About to undertake my BA TEXTILE DESIGN @ NOTTINGHAM TRENT UNIVERSITY. So Excited. Follow my progress from beginner to professional.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s