What is Design?
A plan or specification for the construction of an object or system or for the implementation of an activity or process, or the result of that plan or specification in the form of a prototype, product or process.
What is Culture?
An umbrella term which encompasses the social behavior and norms found in human societies, as well as the knowledge, beliefs, arts, laws, customs, capabilities and habits of the individuals in these groups
What is Context?
The circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood.
During my time @ Nottingham Trent University I will be undertaking a journey which will fuse Design, Culture & Context within my creative practice. Within DCC I will be encouraged to undertake new research methods, allowing idea generation and independent thinking. My passions and interests will be interwoven with cultural and social issues, allowing me to critically analyse the world around me.
Thinking of my practice as integral cog within a much bigger picture will empower me to play around with ideas of authenticity. It will allow me to find out where it is I fit in as a designer within an ever evolving industry.
Areas of paramount importance to explore:
- Making Connections between practice and theory/history of design.
- Engaging with the world around me.
- Researching from a wide and varied pool of resources.
- Looking at design responsibility toward a bigger picture/sustainability.
- Gaining direct experience from original sources.
- Keeping up to date with new innovations and what is happening culturally.
- Constantly asking questions to grow as a designer/person.