Having always had an affinity with Nature, I didn’t quite realise how therapeutic drawing flowers is; a continuous line to create shape, pattern, form and texture soothe my soul. My Dad always has instilled within me the mantra that ‘there is no right or wrong way to draw, but rather an expression of your own self and individuality’.

The last few days have seen me at my most creative and I am struggling to reign in all my ideas, but one of the core ingredients of my success would have to be the ability to deconstruct an idea then reconstruct it in a number of different ways, which is what I have done.

I am not proficient on Photoshop or Illustrator, but have the technical know-how to create repeat patterns and juxtaposition by the good old fashioned way….BY HAND!!!


This exercise was extremely labour intensive; photocopy each image numerous times, ‘cut out’ with my fingers, arrange by eye, and then spray mount and adhere to the sketchbook page. However, I am really proud of my effort. The flowers I I have drawn are: ROSE, IRIS, & HYDRANGEA.

The process of Repeat Patterns is extremely cathartic for me, it feeds my OCD rather nicely, plus it looks great!!

I concentrated deliberately on form, line and shape first and made the conscious decision not to overburden studies with colour until I knew that the design was strong enough to take forward.


Again, playing around with the size of the image can create a wonderfully cohesive and fluid pattern, not to mention its a wonderful way to make sure that the image works well within the overall space.


Experimenting with the stylisation of Roses within a surface pattern context, adding BRUSHO and water, and then strategically placing an acetate replica of the same image over the top, but making sure that the image is slightly off kilter to allow for a 3-D effect. Colours specifically chosen as a nod to WGSN.


I photocopied (A3) my Felt samples (from my Felt workshop @ Art Van Go) and began by creating a ‘busy, colourful and textural collage background. I didn’t want to use colour within my observational Iris drawing, so photocopied it numerous times and cut out each image (time consuming!!!! 2hours!!!), juxtaposing them to create a repeat pattern. I am incredibly pleased with this design and would love to incorporate this somehow into my final coordinating designs.


Now, this was a labour of love!! It involved experimenting with BRUSHO and water in an atomiser. The idea was to create a range (around 4 A4 pieces of paper incorporating the mixing of BRUSHO colours) colour palettes, which when dry could be ripped up and torn to create a highly textures and fluid (Busy) background. Some of my quick Rose & Hydrangea sketches were juxtaposed as a repeat pattern, eventually being embellished with Gold (Pilot Fine-liner). The result is fantastic, and I am really honing my own individual visual handwriting.





The Muslin was cut to length and width, 750mm x 290mm, and I began by printing the individual elements (Mine and Saima’s) out via my EPSON PHOTO STYLUS XP-620, making sure that I followed the specific printer guidelines set by EPSON. The next step involved the meticulous cropping and guillotine the strips and blocks; steps were cut into 2 widths….1.5CM & 0.75CM. The two sizes were able to compliment the blocks and frame the purposeful discrepancies of the design as a whole.


It was extremely important to create a basic structure of pattern, otherwise the overall effect would look odd; each strip and block were juxtaposed to a specific brief.

Once placed in the specific order the strips and blocks were each, one by one, fixed and iron on individually; the three banners taking 8 hours to finish!!! The iron had to be on it’s hottest setting to allow the image transfer to complete successfully.

It was worth it in the end though. You get out what you put in!!

I just needed to wait an hour or so, then I could iron the banners flat before including in the final design.

I was going to embellish the geometric blocks with a satin stitch border, but I just ran out of time. The idea was to create a ‘ladder’ between the black blocks of the base and top; a metaphor for the journey of Hockney between his home and studio in L.A. I had even toyed with the idea of using a black marker to finish this idea, but thought that I would not be happy with the final solution. On this occasion it would be something I would incorporate next time.